10.08.2009

Roast Chicken

The stocker (or stalker) in the meat section at Harris Tetter jumped in my face to tell me the day's specials. I wasn't even there to buy meat, I was simply walking through the store and smiled at the man on my way to a different spot in the store. He was eager and I realized I needed something to make for my dinner guest. So while I only went to the store to get wine, I left with a whole chicken (for a great price!) and a desire to cook it better than the popular rotissere chicken that populates the front of every grocery store I've ever been in.

What you need: 1 whole chicken, olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, honey salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400. For those that are squeamy about uncooked meat you might want to hand this step off to someone who isnt. Rinse/wash the chicken off. Since its a whole chicken, you have to get in there and pull out the weird pieces in the cavity of the chicken. Once thats cleaned out, I rinse it like crazy and through in some lemon juice. Rub the chicken with a mixture of olive oil (1-2 tbsp), some lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Put the chicken breast side down in a roasting dish.
Place in the oven and cook for 1.5 hours. Half way thorugh flip the chicken and brush it with honey and continue to cook until its done and brown. (Test it by cutting into a thigh - the jucies should be clear and not pink).
Carve the chicken and serve with whatever you want. This is the part that I am no good at (see my first attempt below) so I will let someone else do that part - its a sweet deal. I cook and all you have to do is carve the thing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment