- My new favorite meal is what you see above! I made it for lunch two weekend days in a row and seriously contemplated taking all of the pieces to work and making it for lunch again today. This shrimp & avocado salad with citrus dressing (original recipe courtesy of Food & Wine magazine) is what I would consider genius. Its colorful, its packed with flavor, its light and healthy. The perfect lunch in the summer before hitting the pool or a great salad starter for a dinner party. Enjoy and thank Food & Wine for sharing this magnificent recipe!
- Original recipe (from Food & Wine magazine) serves 6, however the below serves 1 and the measurements are based on my likings. I did not use cider vinegar because I didn't have any.
- large shrimp, shelled and deveined (I used 5 for me, add more or less for you!)
- fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (3 tablespoons)
- fresh lime juice (1 teaspoon)
- dried oregano (a few sprinkles)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- medium tomato (1/2 of one, thinly sliced)
- ripe avocado (1 halved piece, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick)
- red onion (1/3 of one, thinly sliced)
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the shrimp until loosely curled and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
|Cook shrimp, cook!|
|Ready to eat|
|Love the color contrast. Bonus = leftover grapefruit from breakfast!|
Add 2 tablespoons of the citrus dressing to the shrimp, toss well and season with salt and pepper. Season the tomatoes and avocado slices with salt and pepper and arrange on a platter with the onion, alternating and overlapping the slices. Spoon the remaining citrus dressing over the salad and top with the shrimp.
|The colors. The taste. The healthiness = a sure to impress dish|