7.18.2010

Homemade Bagels

 

I love bagels! For breakfast, I prefer a plain bagel with PB or a pumpernickel bagel with plain cream cheese and tomato. For dinner, pizza bagels are a quick and easy way to fill a pizza void. While I love bagels, I do not like the ones you can buy at the grocery because they're loaded with additives to keep them "fresh!" Faced with my bagel frustration, I decided to make them myself. Plus I'm hoping to have a brunch for a new mom in the group and what's better than fresh bagels! So here we go, the first attempt so I can perfect it before serving them to my friends.

This recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook , an easy, clear and straightforward cookbook. And don't worry the industrial size deep fryer that you see at your local bakery is not necessary, all you need is a stockpot of boiling water and an oven to bake these bagels! After seeing how easy it was, I wouldn't be surprised if I do it myself moving forward.

The recipe makes 10 bagels.


Ingredients:
  • active dry yeast (3/4 tsp)
  • warm water (1 2/3 cup)
  • sugar (3 tbsp)
  • honey (3 tbsp)
  • bread flour (4.5 cups)
  • salt ( 1/2 tsp)
  • olive oil
(note: the recipe called for barley malt syrup, but I couldn't find so I substituted honey!)

In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the active dry yeast and warm water. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
Replace whisk with dough hook. With the mixer on low, add sugar, 1 tbsp honey, bread flour and salt. Knead until the dough forms, which takes about one minute. The dough will be a little sticky. Continue to knead on medium for 5 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.

Divide dough into 10 pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 20 minutes.

Roll each piece of dough to be about 6″ inch long and then shape into a circle to make the bagel.


Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray to grease. Place bagels on prepared sheets at least 2″ inch apart.

Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let sit for another 20 minutes or until slightly puffy. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add the remaining honey. Gently drop bagels into the water, putting in as many as possible without them touching. After 30 seconds, flip bagels over and simmer for another 30 seconds. (The cool thing is they will float and rise to the top in no time.)


Using a slotted spoon remove the bagel and place on parchment lined baking sheet. If you desire toppings like salt, seasame seeds, poppy seeds or chopped onion, etc, top now. Immediately place baking sheets in oven and bake for 5 minutes. Then rotate sheet and lower oven temp to 350F. Continue to bake until the tops of the bagels begin to turn a golden brown - about 10 minutes. Flip bagels over and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.



Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy it while it's warm or keep the remaining in the freezer, for up to 2 weeks. Before freezing, slice the bagels so they are easy to toast when you want them.

I think my bagels look pretty good for a first attempt - they actually look like real bagels! And they tasted like them too. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment