7.24.2011

Mahi Mahi with Tomato & Pepper Sauce

I'm vowing to be creative and cook with more seafood - I don't eat enough of it because I've always been scared to make it. Fish is hard to prepare - there's a fine line between undercooked, just right and overdone. So I always skipped over it in the grocery. But not this time! I bought some mahi-mahi after seeing a recipe in Bon Appetit magazine. Full disclosure: I wasn't too focused at the store so I took a few shortcuts in the ingredients to shorten the recipe. Didn't matter though because this recipe turned out to be pretty good. In fact, I clipped into my massive recipe book of favorites to create time and time again!


The original recipe can be found here. My version follows below and serves 2.

Ingredients:
  • mahi-mahi fillets (2)
  • garlic cloves (about 5)
  • red, yellow, green bell peppers (3 cups, thinly sliced. I used the Trader Joe's frozen tri-color bell pepper strips - made this very easy!)
  • white onion (1/3 of large size, thinly sliced)
  • diced tomatoes in sauce (1 small can)
  • dried oregano (2 teaspoons)
  • salt and pepper, for seasoning
  • olive oil

Directions:

Finely chop the garlic cloves. Season the mahi-mahi fillets with the dried oregano, salt and pepper. To each piece with some of the chopped garlic. Set in the fridge and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.

In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are soft. Add tomatoes with sauce, season with salt and pepper and simmer for several minutes.

In a separate skillet, heat some olive oil. Add the mahi-mahi to skillet with the minced garlic. Cook until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.

Divide sauce among plates and top with fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment