7.09.2011

Pan Seared Scallops with Asparagus

I can count on one hand the number of times I've prepared scallops whereas the number of times I've eaten scallops can't be quantified. So while standing in the seafood section of the grocery, I decided it was time to conquer this cooking fear of mine. I sauntered up to the seafood counter and confidently asked for 4 large scallops (seeing as I wasn't too confident, I wasn't ready to make this dinner for anyone else!). Once the scallops were decided, sauteed asparagus seemed like the perfect accompaniment. Both drizzled with a mixture of olive oil, butter and garlic were bound to be a tasty, and somewhat fancy, dinner for one. It turned out great so next time I will venture and make it for someone other than me!


Ingredients:
  • sea scallops (4 large)
  • asparagus (I used the Trader Joe's frozen asparagus spears)
  • garlic (several cloves, minced)
  • olive oil 
  • black pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
  • salt (1/2 teaspoon)
  • unsalted butter (1-2 tablespoons)

Directions:
Rinse and pat dry the scallops and then season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the minced garlic and the seasoned scallops and saute for 4 to 6 minutes total, turning only once. As the scallops are cooking, add the asparagus to the skillet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until desired crispness is reached.

cook, cook, cook
asparagus adds a vibrant color to this dish
Serve asparagus topped with the scallops.

No comments:

Post a Comment