9.25.2009

Carrot Soup

I was trying to come up with a soup to make for one of my friends so I decided on this because i've never made carrot soup because it doesn't make me say "yes please" right away. But then i remembered past soup successes, most notably an asparagus soup. I had a lot of asparagus and needed to find a way to use them, i invited several people over to test and they all were VERY skeptical. To cut to the chase, the soup was bangin.' so this brings me to carrot soup and my latest challenge. My friend's first response when hearing what I was making: "um i don't like warm carrots." If I was a cartoon character a little bubble would have popped above my head with a caption of "WTF, *&$#@!*" But no worries, once it was ready, my friend was lovin' it. My smart-ass was thinking "time to reconsider warm carrots, my friend. time to reconsider."

The recipe is originally from Simple Pleasures by Alfred Portale, but seeing that I don't have the patience to follow a recipe line by line and I didn't buy all of the ingredients, its been doctored.

What you need: carrots, salt & pepper, unsalted butter, onion, leek, chicken stock.

Melt the butter (1tbsp) in a deep pot, toss in onions (1/4 cup thinly sliced), leek (1/4 cup thinly sliced) and some seasoning (salt, some kind of Italian seasoning or saffron) and saute for like 5 minutes. peel and thinly slice 5-7 carrots and add to the pot. also add in the chick stock (4.5 cups) and bring to a boil.


Once boiling, reduce the heat and cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Once the carrots are ready, use a slotted spoon and transfer the carrots to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour the remaining broth into a bowl. Add the pureed carrots back into the soup pan and stir the broth into the puree (not all at once! but pour enough broth in until you get the right consistency). I let mine simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Serve and season with salt and pepper if necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment