These cheddar rice fritters are just as good as fried risotto balls. These crunchy treats are a combination of cheddar cheese, long grain rice and bread crumbs (plus a few other things) and were very popular at the Christmas Eve party. Be warned these are very addictive!
This recipes makes about 25-30 fritters.
- long-grain white rice (1 cup)
- Cheddar cheese (shredded, 1.5 cups)
- onion (1 small, finely diced)
- unsalted butter (2 tablespoons)
- whole milk (1 cup)
- water (1 cup)
- salt and black pepper (1 teaspoon each)
- eggs (2 large, lightly beaten)
- dry bread crumbs (2 cups)
- vegetable oil for frying
Transfer rice to a large bowl and stir in cheese, butter, onion, salt and pepper until cheese is melted. Cool, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, then stir in eggs and bread crumbs until combined well.
Form small balls of the rice mixture making sure they are coated with bread crumbs. Roll off any excess bread crumbs, then transfer to a tray.
Heat oil in a heavy pot over moderately high heat then fry fritters in batches until golden, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve hot!