4.16.2011

Cantaloupe Sorbet


I bought way too much cantaloupe the other weekend in my somewhat misguided attempt to eat a lot of fruit! Realizing the cantaloupe would go bad in a few days, I started googling ways to use cantaloupe. The very first recipe - cantaloupe sorbet that looked super easy and had high potential. The hard part was waiting for the sorbet to freeze, but once it was finally ready, it was well worth the wait. A satisfyingly sweet yet healthy treat. While it's great on its own, I think I start adding this sorbet into my smoothies.

The recipe comes from Epicurious and can be found here, its a recipe from a 1997 issue of Bon Appetit. I edited out a few steps based on the comments associated with the recipe to make it a little easier.


Ingredients:
  • sugar (2/3 cup)
  • water (1/2 cup)
  • cantaloupe (3 cups, peeled and seeded. about 1/2 a cantaloupe)
Directions: 
Combine sugar and water in saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Set aside.

Puree cantaloupe in a blender until smooth. Pout into a freezable dish. Add the sugar syrup and stir until well blended.


Freeze until almost firm, stirring occasionally, at least 3 hours or overnight.

Transfer cantaloupe mixture to large bowl or leave it in the same container as I did. Using electric mixer, beat until fluffy. 


Return to freezer and freeze until firm (do not stir), at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve it up and enjoy!


Cover and keep frozen any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment