4.09.2011

Crunchy Coconut Corn Fritters


The first time I made corn fritters it was for a party ages ago. Fast forward to recently when I had some coconut in my house (something I never have) and I started googling ways to incorporate it into recipes. Once I saw it, I couldn't resist this recipe for crunchy coconut corn fritters. Something bite size, crunchy, surprisingly light and with a hint of sweetness and a dash of spice! A great snack to serve guests or to keep in your fridge for munching over a long weekend!

The original recipe is from the Food 52 blog, Crunchy Coconut Corn Fritters. Of course I didn't have all of the ingredients so I substituted: organic frozen corn for fresh corn; almond milk for coconut milk; red pepper flakes for chilis.

Ingredients:
  • all purpose flour (1 cup)
  • baking powder (1 teaspoon)
  • salt (1/2 teaspoon)
  • sugar (1/2 teaspoon)
  • cayenne (1/2 teaspoon)
  • egg (1)
  • almond milk (1/2 cup) 
  • hot sauce (a few dashes)
  • butter (1.5 tablespoons, melted)
  • corn kernels (1 and 1/4 cups; frozen and thawed; or canned; or fresh)
  • unsweetened coconut (1 cup)
  • salt
  • crushed red pepper flakes (a few dashes)
Directions:

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cayenne. Beat in the egg, almond milk, hot sauce and butter. Mix until it comes together. Fold in all remaining ingredients.

In a large saucepan or deep fryer, heat about 4 inches of vegetable oil. Carefully drop spoonfuls of the batter and cook until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pan. Working in batches, fry all, removing the fritters after a few minutes or when they are golden browned on all sides.


Remove to a towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve warm with a dipping sauce or eat alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment