10.22.2012

Creamy Orzo with Prosciutto & Peas (Plus a Race Recap!)


I wish I had made this awesome pasta for dinner Saturday night in prep for the Army 10 Miler yesterday (I have no idea what the best thing to eat before a long race, so I just eat whatever I want...hence the massive ice cream cone in my last post!) This is the second year I've run the but the umpteenth time I've watched the race. 30,000+ runners running to raise awareness and funds for the Army is definitely one of the most inspiring races to watch and participate in - from the high volumes of people running in honor of someone to the wounded warriors to all the Army folks handing out water and gatorade, its pretty awesome...and very DC. The gorgeous weather was also a huge plus. I left my phone, ipod and watch at home so no clue how fast (or slow) I was running so I was happy to see my final time of 1 hour and 28 minutes...a whole 4 minutes faster than last year! I think the ice cream the day before was my lucky charm...

But back to the pasta, this dish is so easy to make. Great for a crowd or for a bunch of smaller lunches/dinners. While I made this a few weeks ago, this is going into the rotation for the next dinner I host thanks to the ease in directions that results in yum!


Prosciutto & Peas with Creamy Orzo

Ingredients
1 cup dry orzo pasta
1/2 cup diced onion
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup fresh peas
1 cup diced prosciutto
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup Parmesan
Salt and black pepper
Directions
Cook orzo according to package directions; drain and set aside
Saute onion in oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
Stir in wine, cream, broth, peas, and ham simmer over medium-low heat until peas are tender; 4-5 minutes. Stir in cooked orzo. Stir in egg yolk and Parmesan until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/23/2012

    great job on the race and that dish looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. try the recipe - you will love it!

      Delete